Beat the Chill with Soup Therapy Day-4
Middle East is known to be the origin of Lentil seeds. So, this soup is a heritage of middle-eastern region. The most common and famous name for this soup in Egypt is “Shorbat-Adas”. Adas is considered to be a main dish mainly because it is so filling, and is usually eaten with pita bread and lemon wedges.
So, after having a long day at work and returning home dull and tired, this soup is sure to boost you up with a quick energy dose. It’s hearty and delicious and serves as the perfect tool to placate your appetite.
Lentils do look small by size when compared to the other members of legume family. However, this smallest member is the most mightiest in nutrition content. They are considered to have the second-highest ratio of protein per calorie of any legume, after soybeans.
Lentils are a rich source of numerous essential nutrients, particularly dietary fiber and protein. Micro nutrients in high content include folate, thiamin, phosphorus, iron and zinc.They are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber and can increase your energy manyfolds by replenishing your iron stores.
Aren’t you already feeling excited and energetic just by reading the benefits of this “little wonder”? I can’t wait more to get started with this delicious and hearty soup. So, here’s how I prepared Egyptian Shorbat-Adas in my kitchen today.
Shorbat Adas-Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
Preparation Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 30 MIN
Total Time: 1 HR Yields: 4 To 6
1 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced tomato
1 large chopped onion
¼ cup heavy whipping cream or ½ cup coconut milk
3 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
1 cup red lentil washed thoroughly (Easily available in Asian & middle-eastern grocery stores)
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ cup youghurt
2 sprigs of fresh mint
Juice of ½ lemon
Pita bread or Black Bean Tortilla Chips to serve with the soup
Finely chop the mint sprig and mix it in the yoghurt along with lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Heat the olive oil.
- Add chopped onions and a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, saute for few seconds. Add ginger and saute for another few seconds.
- Add carrots, tomatoes. Cover and cook for a while.
- Now add turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- After cooking for another 2 minutes, add the washed and drained lentils to the pot.
- Add the vegetable stock,cover and let the soup boil on medium flame for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, cover and cook for another 5 mins. If using cream, stir in the cream in the soup , mix well and stop cooking.
- Add salt as per taste and mix well.
- Serve hot with the youghurt-mint dip along with warm Pita or Black-Beans Tortilla Chips.
Beat the chill by enjoying the hot soup with the family ! Keep following for the Soup Therapy Day-5 on the blog.
Pleazzzz don’t forget to share it on your social media with friends and family in case you enjoyed reading my blog. After all, “Sharing is Caring”.
Eat healthy, exercise well and stay tuned for more recipes. Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest and please click the follow button to keep receiving the updates on my new blogs and it’s free.