Veggie Patty Delight- Steamed Veg Patties
If you love to integrate both health and taste to your evening Tea-time snack, this non-fried version of veggie patty could come to your rescue.
Serve it with the smoking hot tea for the evening or keep it as an appetizer dish for the parties you plan to host.
My family loves this snack and I am sure, yours is going to love it too.
This one is a great healthy lunchbox idea for the kids. So Mums, stop worrying about your junk food addicted kids who simply avoid veggies. All Jacks n Jills are going to love this surprise in their lunchboxes.
1 cup boiled rice
1 1/2 cup grated veggies (bottle gourd, carrots, broccoli or cabbage)
1/2 cup washed and finely chopped spinach(optional)
1/4 cup Ragi Flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chickpea flour
2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
2 tbsp yoghurt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tbsp red chilli powder
2 pinches of soda bi-carb
2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tbsp Dry mango powder
salt to taste
1 1/2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp black mustard seedsMethods:
- Take rice in a bowl and mash.
- Combine grated bottle gourd ,carrots , broccoli , chopped spinach, whole wheat flour, chickpea flour,ragi flour, yoghurt, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, coriander powder, red chilli powder, soda bi-carb, asafoetida, dry mango powder , salt and oil with the rice
- Mix well and knead into a soft dough adding water if required.
- Apply ¼ tsp of oil on your hands and take out 15 to 20 portions as desired.
- Shape each portion into a round patty.
- Arrange the rolls on a greased steaming plate and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove, and allow it to cool slightly .
For the tempering,
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 tsp of oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and let the seeds crackle.
- Add the steamed patties and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour and crisp from both sides.
- Garnish with coriander or parsley and serve it hot with the chutneys of your choice. ( I prefer Coriander-mint chutney and the tamarind-date chutney). It tastes yum even with the tomato Ketch-up.
Stay tuned for more recipes. Till then, Eat Healthy and exercise well !!!