Butterscotch Cake with Ooey Gooey Butterscotch Ganache
This decadent Butterscotch Ganache cake is just fabulous for your someone special. It feels great to bake this cake at home if that someone special is none other than your beloved Husband.
Yes, I surprised my husband last month with his favorite Butterscotch Ganache cake on his birthday. Birthdays are always special. Though it was his special day, it was equally momentous for me when he was beyond impressed with this surprise of mine.
It’s very important for a food blogger to have a very understanding and tolerant life-partner. I am proud to say that I got one because he has shown immense patience and tolerance towards all my kitchen experiments and always gave a pat on my back even when the experiments were a disaster. Lol!!!
My girls kept me very busy during the past weeks and I almost forgot to post the recipe for this awesome cake. Thanks to my friend who reminded me of this pending post. She liked this cake’s picture on my facebook page and needed the recipe for his husband’s upcoming birthday. So, here you go, my very sweet friend!!!
It’s a very Moist cake, covered in butterscotch icing, dripping with a rich, butterscotch ganache that will make anyone’s mouth water. Brown sugar’s smooth molasses flavor and butterscotch’s buttery goodness shine through in a rich and decedent ganache, topped with chocolate chips.
I have used one 6-inch round and deep cake pan and then I sliced the cake in half and layered with ganache icing. And for writing the birthday message on the top of the cake, I have used Wilton’s candy melts. They are available in all colors. It’s very easy to use them. All you need to do is just melt them and put in the piping bag. You can have fun writing your favorite messages with them.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup firmly-packed Domino dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk
Icing and Ganaché
1 package (11 ounces) Nestle TOLL HOUSE Butterscotch Morsels
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
3 cups Domino confectioners’ sugar
Nestle TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels(chips) for garnish
1 pack Wilton’s Candy Melts for writing the message on the cake(optional)Methods:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your cake pan by greasing it nicely. Cut the parchment paper in round shape to fit the bottom of the pan. It becomes easy to take the cake out if we place the parchment paper at the bottom.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with whisk or an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Let the cake cool down in pan for 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on cooling rack.
- For ganache, combine butterscotch chips, cream, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Microwave at half (50%) power 1 minute; stir. Microwave on 50% power in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chips are almost melted. Stir thoroughly until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- For icing, in large bowl, beat butter and shortening with whisk or electric mixer. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well . Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. Add 2/3 cup cooled butterscotch ganache and beat until well combined. Now,Icing is ready.
- To assemble, cut the crown off of the cake to get a smooth cake layer for icing. Place first layer on serving plate. Spread ¼ of icing on the first layer and smoothen; top with second layer of cake followed with the icing. Ice top layer and sides of cake nicely with our icing. Refrigerate until the icing is firm, about 20-30 minutes. Microwave remaining 1/3 cup butterscotch ganache on 50% power for 15-20 seconds, or until just warm. Pour over top of chilled cake, spreading to edges and allowing to run down sides. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.
- Using Candy melts, write the message and once letters are colled and set, place the message on the cake.
- Refrigerate at least 5 minutes before cutting.
Bake this cake at home for your loved ones’ special birthdays and show them that you care just the way I did!
Pleazzzz don’t forget to share it on your social media with friends and family in case you enjoyed reading my blog. After all, “Sharing is Caring”.
Eat healthy, exercise well and stay tuned for more recipes. Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest and please click the follow button to keep receiving the updates on my new blogs and it’s free.